What have Smart phones done to our teenagers ?
- Many serious accidents have been caused because children have been playing on their phone on their way to and from school, and not focusing on the road . This is called ‘DIGITAL DISTRACTION ’.
- Creativity is destroyed and it is more difficult to focus on work.
- The average teenager spends more than 7 hours on their Smart phone each day . While teenagers are supposed to be doing other things the phone calls them all the time. For example, you are walking down the street and at the same time you are watching a video.
- While you are on your mobile a chemical is released into your body called ‘DOPAMINE’. This is the same chemical that is released when you eat chocolate . DOPAMINE makes it difficult to resist all the buzzes and rings on the phone – just like it is difficult to resist chocolate .
- Schoolwork suffers because the brain becomes very tired and cannot focus when deep thought is required. For example, studies show that it takes 30 minutes to reach the state of concentration required to write an essay or to read a Chapter of a book. Each time the child stops writing or reading to check the phone, they yank their brain from this state of concentration. They then have to reboot the brain just like you do a computer – think what a pain this is. After many studies, neuroscientists state that when there is DIGITAL DISTRACTION it takes people more than 50% longer to complete a task and they make more mistakes.
- There are no more ‘quiet’ periods during which a young person can think or just let his mind wander. It is during this time that we come up with new ideas and thoughts. ISAAC NEWTON FIGURED OUT GRAVITY WHILE SITTING RELAXING IN HIS MUM’S BACK GARDEN. Who sits like this nowadays when there is Instagram and Facebook to click through?
WHAT TO DO
- DON’T SLEEP WITH YOUR PHONE.
- DON’T CARRY YOUR PHONE IN YOUR POCKET.
- BE ACTIVE EVERYDAY. CHOOSE A FUN ACTIVITY TO DO.
- PRACTICE CONCENTRATION. TAKE UP A HOBBY THAT REQUIRES PATIENCE AND PRACTICE.
- TAKE CONTROL OF THE HOURS YOU SPEND ON YOUR PHONE – SET ASIDE A TIME OF DAY WHEN YOU TURN OFF ALL NOTIFICATIONS,MESSAGING AND GAMES .